28 February 2007

WHAT IS CNN SMOKING?

Last night I did a post on the ABC/Washington Post poll showing Barack Obama making major headway against Hillary Clinton among African Americans.

Just before turning in for the night, I came across this CNN.com headline:

"Obama Getting Cool Reception From Black America"

A direct contradiction to the story I had just written.

Since it was late I decided to live with my Wash. Post posting and do something on the discrepancy today, which is what I set out to do a few minutes ago.

But, on closer review, I noticed the CNN story in question - though posted last night - is based on a survey done Dec. 5 through Dec. 7.

On Dec. 7, the NFL's regular season was still going, I had not yet even put up my Christmas tree and I was still hopeful that this would finally be the year when I would be able to leave my snow shovel in the garage all winter long.

What on earth possessed CNN to write a story on Feb. 27 based an a survey that was nearly three months old? Your guess is as good as mine.

(EDITOR'S NOTE: AT AROUND 5:49 EST CNN.com REPLACED THE POST LINKED ABOVE WITH A NEW POST THAT INCLUDES A NEW TOP THAT IS SEVERAL PARAGRAPHS LONG AND INTENDED TO MAKE THE STORY APPEAR 'FRESH.' IT IS STILL BASED ON A DEC. 5-7 POLL).

A SOMEWHAT LESS CONVENTIONAL POLL

Before we leave the subject of polling (finally) for today, I just thought I'd point out a somewhat loaded poll being run by The Nation on its Web site.

It's no secret that Hillary Clinton is not well loved by the progressive wing of the Democratic Party, so The Nation's poll is more fun than in any way useful.

Here's the can't-win question and answers Hillary faces in that poll.

What's Hillary Clinton's greatest weakness as a presidential candidate?


  • Her refusal to apologize for her vote to authorize the Iraq invasion
  • Her association with the anti-progressive Democratic Leadership Council
  • Her rigid, poll-driven political style
  • Her tendency to stomp all over her critics
  • The baggage Hill and Bill carry from their sojourn in the White House
  • She has no significant negatives: This woman is going to win.

You can vote here if you like. And by the way, when DID you stop beating your wife?

No comments: